My SCRAPBOOK (సేకరణలు): A COLLECTION of articles in English and Telugu(తెలుగు), from various sources, on varied subjects. I do not claim credit for any of the contents of these postings as my own.A student's declaration made at the end of his answer paper, holds good to the articles here too:"I hereby declare that the answers written above are true to the best of my friend's knowledge and I claim no responsibility whatsoever of the correctness of the answers."

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

GRape in Delhi..

Disturbed over the recent brutal gang rape of a young woman in Delhi and the way women are being treated in our country, filmmaker Farhan Akhtar expresses his angst and anguish in this moving poem. He stirs our collective conscience with hard-hitting
questions.

What is this country that I live in?

With no equality

And the quality of life

Differs from husband to wife

Boy to girl, brother to sister

Hey Mister, are you the same?

Contributing to the national shame

Replacing your mothers

With the bent ideology of another's perception that women have a particular role in society

Fills my heart with anxiety

Where is all of this going?

What will emerge from these seeds that we're sowing?

It makes my head spin

But I'm not giving in

Will keep asking the question

What is this country that I live in? What is this country that I live in?

That takes away her right to love

Brutalises her with an iron glove

Rapes her without fear of there being justice for her tear

We've demeaned our goddesses

Gone back on all our promises

Become a gender distorted nation

Given our conscience a permanent vacation what do I tell my daughter?

That she's growing up to be lamb for the slaughter we've got to make a change

Reboot, reformat, rearrange, and never give in no matter how much your head may spin

Just keep asking the question

What is this country that I live in?
(Times Of India, 19:12:2012)

_______________________________


Tweets:-
Preeti Karmakar p@Kaffeetina- 

"Don't tell your daughter, not to go out. Tell your son not to rape."
 

iRahul p@Rahul_ag-
"If Gandhi was alive, he'd recommend 4 monkeys. The 4th would be covering his crotch teaching people not to rape."
 

(from d compilations of Madhumita Srinivasan, The Hindu,24th December2012)
____________________________________

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home