My SCRAPBOOK (సేకరణలు): A COLLECTION of articles in English and Telugu(తెలుగు), from various sources, on varied subjects. I do not claim credit for any of the contents of these postings as my own.A student's declaration made at the end of his answer paper, holds good to the articles here too:"I hereby declare that the answers written above are true to the best of my friend's knowledge and I claim no responsibility whatsoever of the correctness of the answers."

Friday, August 01, 2008

I don't find the word "bus stand" in the dictionary. Why is that?


Though the word "bus stand" is used very frequently by Indians, it does not find a place in many dictionaries because native speakers of English do not use it. They tend to use the word "bus stop" to refer to the place where a bus stops to pick up passengers.

A bus stop, which offers protection against the sun, rain, etc., is called a "bus shelter".

Indians also use the word "bus stand" to refer to the place where buses going to and coming from different destinations are parked. Native speakers refer to such a place as "bus station" or "terminus".

So, is it wrong to say "bus stand"? Not in the Indian context.


S. UPENDRAN

(The Hindu, 24:12:2002)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home